Wednesday, January 5, 2011


It feels like this last festive season crept in rather quickly and disappeared just as fast  - so much so that I have just noticed its been a while since the Oude Leeskamer contributed to the blogosphere and we never officially wished all our customers old and new a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

So, the New Years bubbly has been drunk, our Christmas tree (which admittedly wasn’t coping well with the Stellenbosch December heat) has left the building and slowly friends and family have started their annual reluctant trudge back to their nine-to-five jobs. As Stellenbosch slowly starts to rise out of its post festive season hangover (and this has not been helped by today’s sweltering heat) I can’t help myself but to reflect on the whirlwind that was 2010.

It feels almost unreal that this time last year the Oude Leeskamer building had only just closed its doors as an architects practice and the 10 month long labour of love to refurbish the elegant Cape Dutch building had only just begun. Over most of 2010 Jean and Fred undertook the mammoth task of refurbishing the building in a sensitive manner to ensure original features – and the building’s integrity – were restored, whilst trying to introduce features to enhance the buildings environmental sustainability.  In reality this often meant that whilst engineers were installing state of the art solar panels in one part of the building, in another part you would find skilled artisans spending weeks coaxing the original yellowwood beams, ceilings and floorboards, clay tiles and fireplace back to life.

It is almost as hard to believe that the Oude Leeskamer Guest House has already been welcoming guests  for 4 months, but I think part of the reason why these last few months have flown by so quickly has been that we  have been so fortunate to have had the most wonderful guests staying with us. Below are just some of the lovely feedback we have had to date:

“Had a fantastic stay here during our honeymoon in South Africa. Karin and Paul were the perfect hosts, they have done an amazing job re-designing the guesthouse to a modern building that is geared completely to meet the needs of its customers, while retaining the charm of the original building. Their attention to detail is first class, while their friendly, warm and helpful manner ensured a very memorable stay for us. Best stay of our honeymoon! We'll be back on our anniversary!” (Comment by an Irish honeymoon couple on the highly influential independent Traveller review site www.tripadvisor.com.)

“Beautiful building, fantastic decor and the most friendly, hospitable and welcoming hosts. Thank you - we had an awesome experience and I am so glad I live not too far away in Cape Town - it will be easy to come back to you for more TLC”. (Comment by a Capetonian couple in our Visitor’s Book).

“I was hugely impressed by Die Oude Leeskamer, besides the beauty of the renovated guesthouse itself, what struck me was the attention to detail - from an email on the eve of my trip informing me of what weather to expect, to the specially sourced ground coffee in my room. My stay, even though it was for business, was absolutely pleasurable and I felt well taken care of; I boarded the flight back with my tummy full after a delicious continental breakfast.” (Feedback from a business traveller left on www.tripadvisor.com.)

“This guest house is one of the best! The hosts are charming, friendly and very accommodating.... they couldn't do enough for us. The bedrooms are luxurious and we loved every minute of our stay. Breakfast is served in the beautiful old courtyard and is plentiful and delicious. There is incredible attention to detail in everything. We highly recommend a stay here. One of our best experiences in South Africa. Thanks so much.” Feedback some Australian guests left on www.tripadvisor.com.)

So, here’s to an amazing new decade to you all - we wish you nothing but love, laughter and happiness, and we hope you will have an opportunity to stay with us in 2011!

PS: I found this poem and it really made me chortle, so for those of you also attempting a January detox – I hope this puts a smile on your face!

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt---
I said to myself, as I only can "You can't spend a winter
disguised as a man!"
So--away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
"Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie--not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!


No comments:

Post a Comment